11.14.2009

So it turns out I had the Swine Flu! Hooray, I am FINALLY a part of history!

(I've been telling Tyler for the past few months that I secretly want it so I can say I had it, although now I don't think this counts. What is the fun of being sick this past week with the swine flu if I didn't even know that's what it was? Dangit, I missed my chance.)

The house is a disaster and it's probably infected with flu virus everywhere I have laid a tissue or a sneeze, but what did I do last night? I made fudge. Because that's how I roll.



It was my first-ever fudge made with sweetened condensed milk, and it was so easy! I'll share the recipe, but if you don't like darker, more bittersweet chocolate, find a recipe with just semi-sweet chocolate chips or omit the unsweetened baker's chocolate. This fudge tastes like a dark, rich chocolate, but I love it because I can only sneak little pieces at a time instead of eating the entire pan.



Classic Fudge
Yield: 25 pieces
2 ounces bittersweet chocolate (I used 100% unsweetened)
2 cups (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
½ cup sweetened condensed milk
2½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts (or whatever type of nut you prefer, if any at all)

1. Line an 8-inch baking pan with wax paper.
2. Place bittersweet chocolate, semisweet chocolate, and sweetened condensed milk in a bowl set over a pan of simmering water, making sure that the water is not boiling and that the bowl is not touching the water.
3. Stir the mixture occasionally until the chocolate has melted. Stir in the vanilla extract and nuts.
4. Spread fudge evenly in prepared baking pan. Refrigerate for 2 hours, or until firm. Cut when cool and firm.

Storing: Fudge generally should not be stored in the refrigerator because it can dry out. It can be stored for up to a week in an airtight container at room temperature. If you wish to store it for longer than a week, fudge can be frozen for up to six months. Wrap in wax paper and place in a freezer bag.
(Adapted from Ghirardelli)

1 comment:

Kim said...

I do a recipe jut like this, and it's fantastic! I like to use milk chocolate chips though.

And I felt the same way about mono in highschool... how could I say I did anything fun?