3.17.2011

Chicken Fajitas


Tonight I made Chicken Fajitas for dinner. First I asked Tyler what Mexicans put in their fajitas (he served an LDS Mission in Leon, Mexico for two years before we met, so he knows his stuff.) He told me they don't really make chicken fajitas and we've super-Americanized the term fajita.
Sad. No luck there.

Then I was too lazy to find a recipe, so I just started making things up as I went along. (Yes, Mom. I know your jaw just dropped open in surprise, but I really did! And it turned out fantastic!)

It had a little bit of sweet from the raisins and a little bit of smoky flavor from the cumin to it. We'll definitely be making it again soon. Here's the recipe:


Chicken Fajitas
Serves 4
15 minutes or less (!!)


4 chicken tenders (1/2 lb, maybe?)
1 red bell pepper
1 small tomato
1 onion
1/2 can black beans
1/4 c. raisins
large palmful of ground cumin (2 T. maybe?)
small palmful of coriander (1/2 T.?)
s & p

Toppings: 
Avocado
Sour Cream
Pepper Jack Cheese
Tortillas (8)

Chop onion, bell pepper and tomato. Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces. Sautee onion, pepper, tomato, and chicken in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat until chicken is cooked through and onions are translucent. Add beans and raisins and mix well. Add cumin and coriander, and season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat and cook until warm throughout.

Serve with warm tortillas, avocado, sour cream and cheese.

Notes: 
-The raisins sound weird. I know. But I tried a similar fajitas recipe several weeks ago with raisins and I couldn't get it off my mind! Every fajita needs raisins for that sweet punch.
-If I had roasted sweet bell peppers I would have used those instead of a fresh pepper.
-This should easily serve 4 people. If you want to add more chicken, it could serve 6. 
-We used fresh, uncooked tortillas from Costco and cooked them ourselves. Once you've tried them, you'll never go back to store-bought, pre-cooked tortillas!

No comments: