7.17.2009

Orange & Almond Salad

Last night I actually had a GOOD cooking experience! Imagine that! Although this recipe was simple, it was still tasty! I think I'm going to try adding chicken next time.

Orange & Almond Salad
Here is the full recipe. This makes A LOT. I myself halved the recipe, and still had too much dressing.

dressing:
2 T. white vinegar
4 T. oil (not olive)
2 T. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 tsp. almond extract

salad:
romaine lettuce
small can of mandarin oranges
slivered almonds, crystallized
4 green onions (I left these out)

To crystallize the almonds, mix them with 4 T. sugar in a non-stick skillet on the stove. The recipe says to cook them on low for 15 minutes until the sugar melts and crystallizes, but I got impatient and cooked them on med-high for about two minutes. Once the sugar melts, pour them onto tin foil to cool for about five minutes.


As you can see, Tyler doesn't eat very much salad. This is how much he put on his plate:
He really is a picky eater sometimes. He hates salad. Luckily he ended up liking it (I think) and went back for seconds!
On the left of his plate was homemade chili. I'll have to share the recipe for that next because it was amazing! It was sweeter than regular chili, but still had a lot of flavor. Definitely a new favorite.

No comments: