7.15.2009

the REVIEW

So i bet you're all dying to know what I thought about the new Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince movie.

Okay, perhaps you're not chomping at the bit to know, but I'm going to tell you anyways. I loved it. ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. (With a few small exceptions that I'll share with you below:) EDITOR'S NOTE: Please don't read this if you haven't read the book yet. If you do anyways, that will make you very, very mad at me. Just don't come back to me complaining because with all do respect, I did warn you.


1 - I didn't feel like it followed the book as accurately as it could have. Instead of intensifying the plot, they made us laugh. I don't remember laughing like that while reading the book, or watching the other HP movies. It came across as a comedy to me, rather than an action-packed-fantasy-thriller like it should have been. I think in the end they were trying to please the wrong type of crowd. I speak for all HP fans out there when I say that we want it to be as close to the book as possible. Don't go leaving out important scenes just so you could make us laugh instead. We don't like that.

2 - This may be a stretch for me to say because I haven't read the book in years, but I'll admit it anyway: the plot was in dire need of help. They cut out key elements of the plot, and reversed the order of things. For example, in the book we don't find out that Snape is "bad" until the very end. It gives you that sort of suspense and contemplation throughout the book. In the movie, the second(?) scene makes it clear that Snape is working with Lord Voldemort. Where is the fun in that? They killed the entire movie plot right there.

3 - The special effects were wonderful, as always. I've always been impressed with HP film special effects. They make everything look real, which sucks you into the movie. I loved the Quidditch match, and also the first scene where you were flying through the streets. I actually got a bit dizzy from that one it felt so real.

4 - Does Harry even attend class anymore? I think the only class he went to was potions.

5 - The ending was a bit of a let-down. I won't spoil it all for you guys, but I thought it should have been longer. It just ended, and then the lights came on and we all clapped. I was a little confused.

6 - LOVED Luna Lovegood. She's my favorite odd, quirky character in the series. They represent her perfectly in the movie.

7 - They focused A LOT on emotions this movie, trying to make you laugh, cry, and feel for the characters. I don't necessarily think this is a good or bad thing, it was just different. You really wanted to cry with Hermione when she pined for Ron. You felt for Hogwarts when Dumbledore died, and wanted to stand there with them. You laughed, cried, and really got to know some of the characters (Harry, Hermione, and Dumbledore especially) better in this movie.

I really did love it. I wish there would have been more action, but overall the movie was very well done. I laughed, got tears in my eyes, and nearly jumped out of my chair a few times. There's scary parts, funny parts, and emotional parts. It really covered all the bases for every fan. I'd go see it again!

No comments: