2.23.2011

Recipe: Baked Onion Rings

My sister gave us some large onions this past weekend, and I decided to cut one up and test my mad cooking skills. (Apparently my cooking skills are awesome if you didn't know. Haha. But really, occasionally there is a diamond found in the rough here.)

I made oven-fried/baked onion rings and they turned out so so good! We scarfed down the entire plate in about ten seconds flat between the two of us and had a hard time waiting for the second batch to bake! They are much healthier than the fried variety, and I think they turned out just as crispy and delicious! I just kind of made up the recipe as I went along, so there aren't really exact measurements. (Just learn from my mistake though and don't add too much cayenne pepper! Even though it looks like paprika, it sure doesn't taste like paprika!)


Oven Baked Onion Rings
1 large onion
self-rising flour*
salt & pepper
cayenne pepper
garlic salt
1 egg
olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a sheet pan with non-stick cooking spray.
 Cut off both ends of the onion, and peel off a few layers of skin. Slice up the onion in rings and set aside.
 Beat egg in small bowl with a little bit of water. Mix about 1 cup flour, some garlic salt, cayenne pepper, and s&p in another bowl. 
Dip individual onion slices in egg wash, and then dredge in flour mixture. Spread out evenly on your greased sheet pan (it's okay if they overlap). Drizzle with a tiny bit of olive oil.
Bake for 30-40 minutes, flipping/tossing onion rings in pan halfway through. Onion rings should be golden brown and crispy.

*The trick to anything breaded is to use self-rising flour. Tyler and I have finally perfected our Thanksgiving chicken wings by using self-rising flour. It rises as it cooks, making the breading lighter, fluffier, and crispier.
To make your own self-rising flour, mix 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder and 1/2 tsp. salt to 1 cup all-purpose flour.

1 comment:

The Boring Family said...

Yummy! That makes me want to go to the store and get some onions!